I suppose that March is a bit late in the year to be making a calender, but that is what I was doing last weekend. Until this year, I have always had one on my desk at work, generally a gift from a client or a freebie from a printing company. This year, no one obliged, and I have really missed it.
However, I do have a surplus wall calender, and although a wall calender isn't practical for work, I thought that I might be able to turn it into the desk calender that I crave.
I started off by cutting the calender parts away from the pictures on the wall calender, and choosing complementary cardstock and paper for my project. I was guided by the teal print on the calender for this.
My calender pages were 7.25" wide so I set out to make a stand from one sheet of 12x12 cardstock. I cut one piece at 12"x8" and scored across it at 1", 6" and 11" from a short side. Then I cut a second piece at 8"x4" and scored along its length, 2" from a long side. I folded along the scored lines to make two tent shapes.
I stuck these two together, with the smaller tent going inside the larger one, and being glued to the two flaps.
I stuck a panel of patterned paper to the front of my calender (forgetting to photograph it, but I'm sure you can imagine that) and punched holes through the frame and my calender pages. I was originally going to use book rings, but they just looked too clumsy, so I switched to cord instead. Mine was so springy that my knots kept coming undone, so I used a little PVA glue to hold them in place.
Once the glue had dried, I rotated the cord so that the knots are on the inside of the frame, out of sight, and I decorated the front of my calender.
All done, and this now has pride of place on my desk at work.
Cardstcok - Bazzill
Paper - K&Company
Doily - Papermania
Butterflies - Prima
Washi Tape - Tesco
Ink - Docrafts
Cord - Unknown