Sunday 27 March 2016

Brave

For this week's challenge, Shimelle challenged us to scrap a black and white photo, and the Scrap Like You Mean It prompt at UKScrappers was to scrap an old photo, so I'm going back to the 1940s for this page.

My father has been researching our family history, and found that his cousin had an old newspaper cutting from World War II. There's no headline on it so I don't know whether it's part of a general round-up of forces news or it was an article specifically about our family. The narrative starts "Three sons and a son-in-law of Mr & Mrs Potts ..." and goes on to say where each of them was serving at the time. My grandad is the young soldier on the left.

Obviously I only have a scan of the cutting, not the original, so I printed it on thin cardstock as I didn't want the shiny finish of photo paper. 

I used the mid-month sketch from Stuck?! Sketches for my page, stamping circles with a lid and adding buttons to the circles.



Supplies
Cardstock - DCWV
Paper - Basic Grey Wisteria, My Mind's Eye Follow Your Heart, Bo Bunny Double Dot
Letters - American Crafts
Word Stickers - Tim Holtz Idea-Ology
Buttons & Tag - from Stash
Ink - Memento, Ranger

Tools
X-Cut Scalloped Border Punch

4 comments:

  1. I like this layout. Just enough color to brighten it, but totally in keeping with the vintage feel. I want to master using tags as layers, so always like to see when others do it. I also am interested in seeing how others scrapbook old stories and photos, so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and fabulous page. Great job keeping it simple to focus on the newspaper. Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is incredible! Way to embrace the challenges! Thanks for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Wat an incredible piece of family history to have, even if you don't have many details. I like the way you used the sketch to suit your needs. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Stuck?! Sketches

    ReplyDelete