Saturday 27 May 2017

Dinosaur Court

I'll admit that I was initially flummoxed when I received Cindy's page to scraplift in the third week of our Chinese Whispers game at Mind the Scrap as it's not my normal style. I left it for a few days hoping that my subconscious mind would work on the problem and decided to break the page down and take some of its elements rather than make a faithful copy.

The first step was to find a similar shaped photo - long and narrow - and I picked one of the dinosaurs in Crystal Palace Park. It had been my Facebook cover photo for a while so I knew it would suit that shape. The subject made me think of Basic Grey's Archaic collection, which has a dinosaur print, but I knew that I had killed it with a 'starting point' page sometime last year. That page had a row of layered scraps across it and I hadn't used it yet, so could this be my chance? I dug it out (complete with the remaining scraps including some tiny pieces of dinosaur paper) and decided that this would work perfectly if I added some spotty vellum above and below the papers.

I removed the smaller pieces that I had stacked on the left, and added more paper pieces to the right. I matted my photo, and cut a couple of tags from the dinosaur print paper. Having positioned the photo (which is actually a pocket with four more inside) I surrounded it with the tags, more scraps, stickers and chipboard frames, throwing everything I could find at the page. 



It's not an exact copy of Cindy's page, but it's definitely related; not my usual style, but I really like it. That's one thing I love about playing Chinese Whispers with scrapbook pages, the way it forces you to do something a little differently.

These are the pages that came before Cindy's and mine, Jo's inspiration page and her own copy:



Sarah followed mine, and this was her version:



Supplies
Cardstock - Bazzill
Paper - Basic Grey Archaic
Vellum - American Crafts

Letters - My Mind's Eye
Stickers - Basic Grey, Tim Holtz
Ink - Docrafts

Tools
Fiskars Postage Stamp Border Punch

1 comment:

  1. It has been cool watching you make your pages and seeing the original inspiration and all the variations through the 'whisper'. Great pages and thanks for sharing them :)
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete