Saturday 7 February 2015

Forgive, Don't Forget

Before the hiatus of February challenge posts, I was working on filling in the gaps in my 2014 album. We visited Paris in April, and I've scrapped most of the photos, but I had skipped over those from the Mémorial des Martyrs de la Déportation.

It's a memorial to the people of Vichy France who were deported to the Nazi concentration camps during World War II. There are walls of 200,000 quartz stones (one for each person who was put to death) and chambers containing ashes from each of the camps, as well as the grave of an unknown deportee. The inscription on the wall reads 'Pardonne, n'oublie pas' which I translated for my title.


One reason for leaving these photos so long was that I didn't know how to scrap them. I knew that I wanted to use a lot of photos, but I didn't want to put them in a strict grid. I didn't want bright colours, or too many layers. Someone shared a page on Facebook recently (not her own, one she'd pinned on Pinterest so I can't acknowledge the source) during a discussion about grid layouts. That one had several staggered rows of photos, all the same height but various widths, with embellishments at the ends of the rows. Finally, I had my design for this page, though my photos differ in height as well as widths.

Supplies
Paper - Fancy Pants Me-ology, KaiserCraft Secret Bird Society
Letters - Anita's Glitterations
Enamel Dots - Teresa Collins
Brads - Papermania
Ink - Docrafts
Peel-Offs/Stickers - Old Stash

No comments:

Post a Comment