Wednesday 9 November 2011

A Day in the Life

The October colour challenge from Scrap Whispers is to use blue white and purple together. This is indeed a challenge - I rarely use purple and looking through my albums I can only find one previous layout where I have used these three colours. 

So where to start? Paper or photos? I decided to choose photos first, and found a series of pictures from 2007 that we took for my daughter's homework - she had to make a photo diary of her day when they were learning about time. There were about 20 pictures so I picked the best 12 and decided to use them in a grid with patterned paper squares. I remembered that I had seen a sketch in a magazine article about grids; amazingly I even remembered which magazine - Scrapbook Inspirations Ideas Book 2. If anyone has it, the sketch is by Shimelle Laine and appears on page 108. In particular, I was inspired by Andrea Gourley's version.

Now on to the paper... I only actually have one sheet of purple patterned paper and its design of buddleia and butterflies wasn't going to work here. I rummaged through various magazine freebies and found a collection of papers in suitable colours, strangely also from 2007! These were winter papers, with lots of snowflakes, but I only needed a few pieces; I chose the same starry paper in four different blue/purple colours.

I made my grid on white card, added my title and a journalling tag, backed it onto blue and backed it again onto lilac to give the effect of a blue frame around the photos. 
Supplies
Card - Papermania, Core'dinations
Paper - from Scrapbook Magazine Issue 33
Letters - Disney/Sandylion
Ribbon - from Stash

1 comment:

  1. great idea for a layout it looks brilliant. I love the neatness of your grid effect, mine always comes out wonky! thanks for playing scrapwhispers

    ReplyDelete