Sunday 29 April 2012

The Cumbria Way

I've had the time now to come back to Challenge 7 from Shimelle's scrapbooking weekend:
I skipped over it at the time as the layout I had in mind was a time-consuming double pager. My husband walked the Cumbria way last Spring and I wanted to turn his photos and blog posts into a double page. I have attempted it before - I was originally planning to turn the blog into a mini-album - but I gave up on editing the text. When I read that Shimelle had put Facebook printouts in an envelope on her page, I thought that this might be the solution. Just print the blog posts out on A4 and stick it in an envelope. Ultimately, there were 15 pages of text so I needed a very big envelope, and turned most of the right hand page into one.

I also found squashing his 48 photos onto two pages impossible. I cut them down to 33 and added two 6x12 pages in the middle of the page. Just need to buy the page protectors for this now.









It's not perfect - the sheer number of landscape photos makes for an uninspiring page - but it's done. I've filled in a gap in my 2011 album, and 'done' is good.

EDITED: 4 May 2012

I said last week that 'done' is good, but every time I look at this page I really don't like it. I normally work from my photos, choosing a rough layout and then picking complementary papers. This time I chose the green paper first and made the large envelope. This lead to the kraft panel on the right which I mirrored on the left and this gave me a place for my title. I chose the spotty paper for the edging as it was a good contrast, and used the same paper as a 'seal' for the envelope. All the time, I really liked the page, but once I added the multitude of photos I was disappointed with the result.

I called it 'done' but it's been niggling me all week. I've gone back to the page today, and taken it apart. I decided to group the photos for each day on different patterned papers and round the corners of each group. It's still far from perfect but I'm much happier now.



Supplies
Cardstock - Papermania Kraft Basics
Paper - Cherry Arte Arcade (Reverse), Kit 'n' Kraft, MME Wild Asparagus, KaiserCraft
Letters - American Crafts Thickers
Numbers - Authentique Petite Circles

Tools
Fiskars Postage Stamp Border Punch
Woodware Scalloped Circle Punch
EK Success Corner Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment