Wednesday 19 February 2014

Wild at Heart

The team scrap-lifting game at Scrap Whispers is well under way, as is the new round of individual challenges. This page is for their Challenge 166 - to use circles across the page, plus inking and stamping, and no more than three embellishments.

We don't have to cut our photos into circles, but I decided that I would, and that the best photos to cut up would be ones of animals rather than people or places. I found three photos from London Zoo where there was a lot of plain background that I could trim away, and pulled out one of my bags of scraps for more circles. (I sorted all my scraps into co-ordinating sets last autumn.)

I started from plain smooth cardstock which I stamped all over with olive green ink and a random dot background stamp; then I spattered it with paint. Once I'd spread out my circles I decided I needed something at the top and bottom of the page. I stamped my title and drew faux stitches around the edges of the paper pieces.




I have two circle-cutting devices - the Fiskars Shape Cutter and the Kreaxions Circle Cutter. They have their advantages and disadvantages and I couldn't have made this page without either of them. I used the Fiskars Shape Cutter for the photos and patterned paper. I can normally cut an accurate circle with it, but sometimes it does slip, and it is limited by the fixed sizes of the templates. In contrast, I can cut any size of circle with the Kreaxions Circle Cutter as it works like a pair of compasses with a blade in place of the pencil, BUT it leaves a small hole in the middle of the circle. I used this one to cut all the mats just a little larger than the fixed photo/paper sizes, and the holes are covered up.

Supplies
Cardstock - Chartwell Studio, DCWV Neutral Stack
Paper - Basic Grey, Kit 'n' Craft, Sandylion and others
Ink - Ranger Distress Ink, Papermania
Paint - Folk Art

Tools
Fiskars Shape Cutter & Circles Template
Kreaxions Circle Cutter
Lakeland Background Stamp
Craft Creatives Alphabet Stamps

3 comments:

  1. So pretty - love how you placed your circles

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely Amanda. Those photos work perfectly in the circles, don't they?

    Thank you for explaining the pros and cons of the circle cutters too - that kind of thing is always useful.

    Thanks for playing and good luck in the draw!
    Rosey x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, great take on the challenge! Love all the fun circles and pictures!

    ReplyDelete