Sunday 10 June 2018

A Pair of Birthday Cards

June's a busy month for birthdays here; in particular we have five in five days among our friends and families just now. I made these two cards for teenage boys in the same session using the same materials with two recent card sketches.

The first one was from Stick It Down and that spotty background inspired me to use a mask for the base of the card. I picked a couple of colours of distress inks and used an ink applicator with a new mask from Creative Embellishments. I then looked for papers that would match the ink colours and chose an old 6x6 pad from My Mind's Eye for the banner. I stamped and punched my sentiment but it looked a bit lost so I added an extra circle behind it.


My second card is based on card sketch #123 from Sketch-n-Scrap. I used the same mask, stamp and paper pad and one of the papers had a triangle print that was perfectly suited to the banner strip across the card. I stamped and punched another sentiment square and used that instead of the flower on the sketch but I moved it down to connect it with the other card elements as I didn't like it 'floating' where the flower is. This way you can also clearly see what the pattern is on the speech bubble paper.



11 comments:

  1. Your June is my December! My family has six birthdays in December!!

    Your cards are both beauties. Thanks for using our sketch as inspiration for your card!

    Evelyn, Stick it Down design team
    http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun cards. Thanks for playing along with us at Stick it Down.

    Colleen--DT for SID
    http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable cards! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on the sketch. Enjoy all your birthday festivities. Thanks for playing along with us at Stick It Down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet pastels. Thank you for entering your creation at Sketch N Scrap.
    Sharon Fontenot -
    higgledypiggledycrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cards! Love the speech bubble paper. Thanks for joining us at Sketch N scrap.
    Surama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your cards are beautiful! Love the soft colors. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your papers...the clouds, arrows and stars coordinate perfectly. What a lovely duo of cards....thank you for joining us at Stick it Down---Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice cards! I really like how you used the sketches, and the blue star background really pops! Lovely, soft colors, too. Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty cards - love the soft colors. Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clean and simple! I love the subtleness of your colors. Just lovely! Thanks for joining us in June over at Stick It Down!

    Jess - DT
    www.freshbyjess.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete