Monday 8 July 2019

The Carmo Ruins

I have another double page from Lisbon for you today, the last that I'm making for this city, which means that I'll be moving on to Málaga for my next post.

Lisbon was hit by a devastating earthquake and tsunami in 1755; many buildings were destroyed, including the Carmo Convent, but its church survived in part. The roof fell in and the interior was gutted by a fire caused by candles toppled in the quake, but they initially planned to rebuild. However those plans never came to fruition, and the shell of the building was eventually given to the Association of Portuguese Archaeologists in 1864.

The roofless walls of the church still stand as a reminder of the disaster, but the chapels now contain an eclectic assortment of religious artefacts gathered by the archaeologists. As you can imagine, we took a lot of photos here, too many even for a double page, so I added a 6x12 divided page protector between the two halves of my double page.

On the left half and the front of the divided page protector, I concentrated on the ruins themselves, standing open to the blue skies above.



while on the other side I have lots of photos of the artefacts on display - panels of azulejos, plaster carvings, wooden statues of saints, crosses, tombs and statues.



I knew that most of my background would be covered by my photos so I just picked white cardstock, and added some colour with ink and the packaging technique. However, I think I used too much ink (or not enough water) as the colour's too strong and didn't 'move' very well on the page. I think I'll stick to dry ink and masks/stencils for any more that I do.

Supplies
Cardstock - The Range
Paper - Pink Paislee/Paige Evans Turn the Page, My Mind's Eye Hello World, My Mind's Eye Chalk Studio, OneCanoeTwo Creekside, Pinkfresh Studio Let Your Heart Decide
Letters - Fancy Pants, Lily Bee
Stickers - Paige Evans, Pretty Little Studio, OneCanoeTwo, Studio Calico
Puffy Stickers - American Crafts/Amy Tangerine
Glitter Tape & Washi Tape - Hobbycraft
Enamel Dots - American Crafts, My Mind's Eye
Ink - VersaMagic
Mist - Docrafts

Tools
Silhouette Portrait
Big Shot, Dovecraft Star Die & Label Die

No comments:

Post a Comment