Tuesday 17 July 2018

Gala Buffet

Almost there with the cruise scrapbook, and these pages come from the Gala Buffet on our penultimate evening. The food is beautifully presented, almost too good to eat, and the buffet opens for photographs first before anyone is allowed to eat anything. 


When I first saw this month's double page sketch from Stick It Down, I thought it would be perfect for this set of photos, but I soon discovered that a good proportion of my pictures were portrait rather than landscape in orientation. This wasn't actually too much of a problem and I managed to re-work the block of photos to suit them, and arranged the remainder in a loose 'C' shape on the other page. Not an exact copy of the sketch, but I think you can see it there (even if I did decide to swap the two sides over).

That strip of vellum doesn't appear in the sketch at all but I added it for three reasons - firstly having something that spans both sides of the page helps to tie them together and makes it clear that this is a double rather than two singles. Secondly, I'm working with plain cardstock backgrounds in this album and the left side was too stark without something to cover at least part of that vast expanse of kraft. Thirdly, without it, the photos were 'floating' on the left side of the page; having them all touching the vellum 'anchors' them in place.


Supplies
Cardstock - Craft Sensations, Papermania
Paper - Photo Play Boarding Pass
Vellum - Crate Paper Boys Rule
Letters - Simply Creative
Mistable Stars - Studio Calico
Word Stickers - Tim Holtz
Washi Tape - American Crafts
Enamel Dots - Doodlebug, Stampin' Up!
Pearls - Craft for Occasions
Ink - Ranger
Mist - Docrafts

7 comments:

  1. You have used the sketch & made it your own at the same time. I do like the simple background with a few embellishments - it sets the photos to be the star. Those food sculptures give new meaning to "playing" with your food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on using the sketch. Thanks for joining us at Stick it Down.

    Colleen--DT for SID
    http://scrappingranny-colleen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you re-worked the sketch to fit your photos! These photos are beautiful - you're right about the food being too pretty to eat! Thanks for joining us at Stick it Down! We hope you'll join us again soon!

    Lauren
    SID DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic layout, I love that vellum from Crate Paper! Beautiful photos - I love how you used a simple background to make the colours on the photos pop! Thanks for joining us for the SID challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - double pages need something to "tie" them together. I like your use of the vellum. & let's talk about cruise food... yummm! But these creations are unlike anything I've ever seen! These are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your take on the sketch...it definitely works! Thanks for playing along with us at Stick It Down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! I love how delicious this layout is from the photos themselves to the color pallet! Love it! Thanks for crafting with us! <3 ~melissakay DT

    ReplyDelete