Sunday 3 March 2019

Azulejos

After a brief hiatus, I'm back with another page from Porto. This one's about azulejos, the blue and white tiles that decorate so many Portuguese buildings. Lots of them are machine-made, with regular geometric patterns, but we saw several churches with stunning tiled illustrations on them.

I printed three photos in different sizes and orientations in an attempt to mix up the regularity of some of my pages, but then struggled to arrange them on the background. Ironically the arrangement that I liked most was to line them up in an offset grid between columns of patterned paper, filling in the gap with an area of embellishment which I then repeated in the top corner.




This page has veered a long way from my initial intentions but ultimately picking a more regular layout for the page meant that I could enter it in the recent GoGoGetaway cybercrop challenge to use straight lines and columns.

These letters were the perfect colour to match the blue of the tiles, but it's a font that I don't really like anymore. In particular I found that the Z and the S were both top-heavy so I placed them on the page upside-down with the smaller part at the top. 

Supplies
Cardstock - The Range
Paper - DCWV Romantic Life, Simple Stories, Studio Calico, Crate Paper
Letters - Doodlebug
Wood Veneer - Studio Calico
Stickers - Pretty Little Studio, MRI
Glitter Tape - Hobbycraft
Washi Tape - The Works
Ink - Memento
Mist - Docrafts

Tools
Fiskars Postage Stamp Border Punch
X-Cut Circle Punches
Big Shot & Dovecraft Label Die

No comments:

Post a Comment