Sunday 17 March 2019

Jeanette & Joe

More old photos today, as I tackled a recipe challenge from the GoGoGetaway cybercrop a couple of weeks ago. This one called for two photos, and I had nothing on hand from my cruise album so I went back through my old photo albums and picked a couple from my cousin's first wedding. This was in 1988 and I was a teenager with a film camera so the quality of my photos wasn't great, but was probably normal for the time. I had put four photos in the album but two of them were blurry so I just used the other two for this page. They were poorly framed, but a bit of careful cropping has improved their composition.

Apart from the two photos, the other challenge ingredients were a full sheet of cardstock for the background, six pieces of different patterned papers, ten pieces of ephemera or stickers, eight enamel dots or sequins, a title and journalling.


I based my page on the mid-month sketch from Sketch-n-Scrap (which somehow managed to show up in my Blogger Reading List early even though it was unpublished) though I veered off course as I worked. I wanted to show lots of that pretty floral paper so extended it to the full height of the page (though its width was limited by a piece I'd previously cut from it) and I added extra layers of paper behind the photos. I swapped the photos over compared to the sketch because of the direction that the couple are facing in the one on the left, and moved the title as it fitted so neatly above the photo on the right.


Ten pieces of ephemera or stickers had seemed like a lot, but when you start to build three clusters they don't go very far, and I cut some of mine into two or three pieces in order to spread them further. I fulfilled the recipe with the page as it stands on the left here, but I wasn't completely happy with it and continued with a bit more.

The eight enamel dots from the recipe irked me because they didn't split evenly across my clusters, so I added four more. I also added a line of floral stamping to soften the edge where the floral paper meets the cardstock background.

This was the final finished page




which earned me another 9.5 points in Calvinball 2019. The rules are mounting up now but this was on Day 3 so I scored points for the page, a star, enamel dots, the colour green, floral paper, old supplies, handwritten journalling, stickers, this blog post and sharing on Facebook.

Supplies
Cardstock - Bazzill
Paper - K & Company
Letters - Jillibean Soup
Die-Cuts & Flowers - Unknown
Stickers - My Mind's Eye
Enamel Dots - American Crafts/Shimelle, Echo Park
Ink - Memento
Mist - Tattered Angels

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty layout! I love this color palette you used, perfect for your photos! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on the sketch! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap.
    Surama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super layout. The circles make a great addition. Sketch N Scrap appreciates your participation. Thank you for playing along.
    Sharon Fontenot
    higgledypiggledycrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning take on the sketch! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap.

    ReplyDelete