Thursday 10 September 2020

Black Watch Mini Book

Last month was mini-book madness month over at For the Love of Pretty Paper, and I certainly went mad as I have another to share with you today. That's two this week, which is as many as I'd previously made in the past 10 years!

My book is another version of the wallet brag book that I made last year, but this time I challenged myself to make a moving waterfall section rather than the flip-over pages. Both the brag book and the waterfall section were made using free tutorials from Cal Summers

I started the book as an exercise in paper construction, for the satisfaction of mastering the waterfall, without any clear intention for which photos would go in it. As I worked, I decided to use travel-themed papers (since I scrap more travel photos than any other type), and then I hit on making it a book about the Black Watch cruise ship. We've sailed on her three times so I have loads of photos of her but it's recently been announced that she is being retired so this is the end of an era.



I mixed Pinkfresh Studio's Out and About papers with stickers from PhotoPlay's Boarding Pass collection; I've used both lines for cruise albums in the past. I made the book with gussets at the sides so that it would stay closed on its own, but it was bulging by the time I filled it with photos so I added an elastic tie with a couple of anchor charms. I bought a set of these for my first album 12 years ago and only used one. They're a bit lumpy for scrapbook pages, but a good weight for this project.


The book opens up to three sections, journalling on the left, my waterfall of photos in the middle and a pocket on the right which hold my cruise cards from the three holidays we had on Black Watch.


We visited 21 ports in 12 countries on her, and saw her in two more when we were on sister ship Balmoral in 2018. I try to take photos of our ship in every port but some are better than others; I picked out nine of the prettier or more interesting ones for the book, including photos taken from different angles, making sure to get a good spread of dates and places.

The best way to see a waterfall is a video, so I filmed it, but it's sideways:


Alternatively, here are a couple of stills.


I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and the waterfall was easier than it might seem. Thank you Cal!

Supplies
Cardstock - Papermania
Paper - Pinkfresh Studio Out and About
Letters - Anita's Glitterations
Puffy Stickers - Pinkfresh Studio
Flat Stickers - PhotoPlay Boarding Pass, Pinkfresh Studio
Label Stickers - 7Gypsies
Anchors - Ebay
Enamel Shapes - Studio Calico
Ink - Memento

Tools
X-Cut Corner Punch
X-Cut Circle Punches
 

No comments:

Post a Comment